Friday, February 27, 2009

Legion are the ways that today was a better day than yesterday...

The last two days have kind of sucked for me. I blogged about Wednesday... Then yesterday, I ended up missing ALL of the Evolution of Human Aggression sessions for the day... the session I was most interested in seeing.

Ah, but today was much better!

My day began with a job interview that resulted in an offer a few minutes later (of course, the job is my CURRENT job, but I'll be reporting to a different arm of the company), and I ended up getting offered some extra money, which I was not at all expecting, so that was nice!

I spent the afternoon attending the last few sessions of the conference, and thought it was EXCELLENT. Martin Daly & Margo Wilson's presentation was particular insightful... And I got to hear Sarah Hrdy talk, who looks entirely different from what I had imagined... Her book, Mother Nature, was one of the books that made me fall in love with anthropology as an undergrad.

I met and briefly chatted with Steven Pinker and Richard Wrangham... It must get so annoying to be a known person (I was going to say "celebrity," but I'd sound like such a nerd calling a bunch of scientists celebrities... Guilty as charged as I might be), having to stop every 20 seconds to hear some fan gushing.

Anyway, the panel discussion afterward, consisting of social workers and representatives of the Tanner Center for Nonviolent Human Rights Advocacy, discussing the implications and ramifications of the research presented over the last two days, was quite interesting.

Anyway, I need to get ready for Drinking Skeptically tonight. Peace out, sisters and brothers!

No comments: