Saturday, February 2, 2008

Now that the covetted Scarlett Johansson endorsement is in...

With just Clinton and Obama left in the race for the democratic nomination (well, those two and Gravel), I want to come out and officially say I want Barack Obama to be the nominee.

I was talking the other day (this was before Edwards had bowed out) that I would be genuinely satisfied with any of the contenders for the nomination. I think Hillary Clinton would be a strong leader, with the mettle to be taken seriously on the world stage (unlike, for instance, a particular current U.S. president).

But I gotta say, I like Obama a hell of a lot. I feel that he is much more in line with me on a whole host of social issues.

Now all of that said, I'm not sure what to make of this new celebrity-infused "music video" produced by will.i.am and Bob Dylan's other son. It's certainly inspiring, and feels like a "We are the world" sort of call to action, only instead of worldwide poverty or the AIDS epidemic, the issue at hand is Super Tuesday. The video is gorgeous, intermixing an Obama stump speech with celebrities singing or speaking Barack's words.

The video's makers say that the Obama campaign was not involved, and might not even know if the video exists... I don't know if I buy that. And it frankly doesn't matter to me who Scarlett Johansson, Herbie Hancock or Kelly Hu endorse for president, except maybe that it makes me like Scarlett Johansen a little bit more (purely for her acting talent and personality! Honest!!!).

The whole thing feels a little over the top... But oh well, I guess if Obama inspires people, that's a good thing... Anyway, here's the vid:

3 comments:

Juditude said...

I must say that I've rather preferred Obama since the beginning. Even though it would be cool to have a woman president, there's just something about Hilary that I don't trust. Not a lot of facts, mind you, but...maybe it's her hair style or something....! I also agree that the video is a tad over the top, but interesting nonetheless.

Ste said...

Scarlett Johansson is just the coolest thing since sliced bread anyway. so is Obama

Chocolate-Loving Atheist said...

I think this is a perfect example of how Barack inspires people. I think it's great that musicians and celebrities are writing music about politics. That's a good direction for the entertainment industry. Maybe it will inspire young people to vote!